March 7th I moved to Springfield, Missouri to begin a job with the Missouri Department of Conservation as a naturalist. I now work at the Springfield Conservation Nature Center. To put it very plainly, I love it. I love my job.
Every day I learn more and I get to interact with so many people and talk about something that I love, the outdoors.
The pivotal point was when I ran by the library on my way home from work. I had removed my name tag for a bit of anonymity. I walked into the library and took a seat at a computer, across from me a young girl looked up and said "Hi Ms. Jordi". I've been recognized. Her friend asked who I was and she said "oh she's the teacher lady at the Nature Center, she's cool". Yes, I am cool.
This isn't about my ego, this is about the fact that a young girl paid attention enough to recognize me. This means a young girl heard what I had to say, and hopefully took what I had to say to heart.
I wouldn't be where I am today or who I am today if I hadn't had an excellent middle school science teacher. Mrs. Butler showed me that it was okay to be inquisitive, something I fear most people avoid for fear of looking foolish. Mrs. Butler was excited about science and her excitement was contagious. I hope to be the same way. I hope that I am able to reach people by sharing my excitement for the outdoors, science, nature and life. I avoid saying things like: that's gross, that's boring/lame/stupid/ugly, or I don't like this thing/place/animal/idea. Yes of course I have my preferences but I believe people learn by example.
I want people to be comfortable with asking me questions. I think people often shy away from asking questions because they fear being wrong....BUT It is okay to be wrong! It is okay to make a mistake! If you don't ask how will you learn?
I hope to never be one of those people who thinks they know everything. I can always learn more. If you think I'm wrong I'll double check my information. No one is perfect and I don't want to misinform. I never want to be one of those who hears something once and writes it off as law, information is changing and needs to be kept up with.
But in short.
I love my job.
0 comments:
Post a Comment