Western slimy salamander (Plethodon albagula)
Well, it has been a while. I've been so busy living life that I really haven't had time to blog. So to start back up, I'll start with another Things I Like entry.soooo.
Things I like: Salamanders!!!!!
I've been fascinated with salamanders for quite some time. However, my obsession with salamanders didn't really start until around 2004 when I learned about Giant salamanders. Giant salamanders are members of the Cryptobranchidae family and include the Ozark and Eastern hellbenders (Cryptobranchus alleghaniensis spp.), as well as the Chinese and Japan
ese giant salamanders (Andrias davidianus/japonicus). I was fascinated with the hellbender and that fascination quickly moved on to a sincere love for the Japanese giant salamander which can reach 5 ft in length and can weigh up to 77 lbs. This interest in Japanese salamanders prompted me to take Japanese classes so that I could increase my chances of seeing one, in Japan.
I have now been to Japan and I did see a Japanese giant salamander (in an aquarium) but my love for salamanders still exists. Recently I went on a herpetology field trip where we caught, examined and released a variety of amphibians and reptiles.
Marbled salamander (Ambystoma opacum)
Right now I'm itching to get out of doors and to do some night time scouting for salamanders laying eggs. Unfortunately the weather has been so odd I'm not sure when exactly I should head out. Yesterday it was 70, today it snowed. Who knows. I might take a night hike and see if I hear Spring peepers and if I do then I'll look around for salamanders laying eggs, traveling to and from breeding ponds and for other night time creatures.
Spring peeper (Pseudacris crucifer)
Now don't get me wrong, I have an affection for all reptiles and amphibians, it's just that salamanders hold a special place in my heart.
Spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum)
0 comments:
Post a Comment