This summer I spent over two months in Japan. Although I had internet access rarely, I honestly was too busy to post. So here are some posts relating to my summer.
How did I get to Japan?
Well.....
One day when I was a little kid I decided that I was going to be Japanese when I grew up ( great....right? How about another dream I can't attain) shortly afterwards my peers informed me that was impossible. My interest in Japan didn't diminish however and I became fascinated by the rural lifestyle in certain parts of Japan.
I grew up ( supposedly) had been in college for what seemed ages and had just transferred to a new University to eek out a few more miserable years until I could attain my degree. After a year and a slow slip into boredom I realized that the school offered Japanese. I had always wanted to take Japanese and said "what the hell" so I enrolled. I was horrified at first, I couldn't read most of the words in my textbook, I had no idea what to do. Soon I fell into the swing of things and found that 1) I wasn't bored 2) I was pretty decent at learning the language 3) I didn't want to quit school and live under a bridge anymore.
At my last job I had fallen in love with Giant Salamanders and was especially fond of Andrias japonicus ( Giant Japanese salamanders) but thought I could never seen them in person. Now that I had Japanese under my belt I realized I could do anything (not just with Japanese but with any language, I can go anywhere!).
Now my professor is especially pushy about getting his students to study abroad and of course his stories peaked my interest but there was no way I could afford it. I decided that I might as well try and see if I could get financial aid.... I couldn't but I had already filled out all my papers and had been accepted. So, I took out a school loan. Yes I know that may seem foolish but to tell you the truth, it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.
My dad bought my ticket to Japan as a gift and I was on my way.
12.12.2009
I'm going where?
Posted by thewalnut at Saturday, December 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment