7.08.2008

The weasel has its way

I've decided to write about things I like.
Todays topic:

Totoro

I love totoro, I cannot help but love totoro. The idea of totoros is simple, magickal and delightful. Created by the master Hayao Miyazaki, Totoro comes to life in the movie "My Neighbor Totoro". The story revolves around two sisters who have moved to the countryside with their father while their mother is sick in the hospital. The girls are fascinated with their new home and the new creatures to be found near it. One day while the older sister is at school and the dad is busy working at his desk the youngest girl, May, explores the yard where she runs into a small creature carrying a bag of acorns. After following the creature she ends up at its lair (a hole within the roots of a large camphor tree) she falls down the entrance only to land on a giant creature very much like the smaller one. The creatures are totoros and spirits of the forest and of the camphor tree. I don't want to ruin the movie for you but the totoros watch over the girls and aid them during a very difficult time of their life. My favourite scene is where they plant seeds and grow an entire forest over night.



0 comments: